Slice of the Married Otaku Life: I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying


Hi, peoples!  Welcome back for another review on this lovely Sunday!  Before I begin, I want to thank those of you who read my second “Hanime on Autism” post this past week.  I still can’t express how happy it makes me to see the wonderful and heartfelt responses I’ve seen so far. Thank you! J Anyways, back to the review.  This week, I will be covering my first anime short series, as well as my first slice of life series.  If you’ve ever wondered how the anime world views marriage, then this show gives quite a quirky and comical response.  So let’s get started on this week’s review on I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying.
I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying is a slice of life series with thirteen episodes that are only five minutes long.  The series documents the life of newlyweds Kaoru and Hajime.  Kaoru is a bit of a workaholic, while Hajime is an otaku who works at home-as a blogger.  Along with other friends, the show takes a look at Kaoru and Hajime’s ups and downs of married life.  Season one ends with Kaoru discovering that she and Hajime are expecting their first child.
So for my rating, I give I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying a four out of five star rating.  This show is absolutely hysterical!  I don’t think I can say much for the plot, considering that this show is episodic and each episode is five minutes, but it is funny all the same.  Everything from Hajime’s references to anime, from the other character’s crazy antics, and even with the issues that all couples face, this show is a laugh out loud comedy.  Though the animation may be a bit cartoony, it is a comedy show, so the laid back and comical animation is to be expected.  Nothing else I can say really.
Now, there is one downside and one big disappointment that I did find with I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying.  I think one downside to this show is the fact that each episode is so short.  Some people may prefer that twenty minute long episode.  It’s a matter of taste.  However, some of these short series, like Hetalia, have become extremely popular.  It’s possible for a show of this nature to gain some quick popularity, but it all comes down to who will go for that.  And the big “disappointment” that I found with the show: it has a second season- note that I said “season one ended…”  Had I said differently, I wouldn’t have implied a second season.  I was pretty upset when I found out about this.  And it wasn’t that I didn’t like the show, I felt like the way it ended should have ended it.  That is, Kaoru and Hajime finding out they were pregnant should have ended the series.  In fact, in the beginning of the episode, Hajime think of ways that a slice-of-life show can end.  Plus, in some shows, a baby kind of ruins the show.  Sometimes the characters can change completely.  And even in the second season-which I saw only a little bit of it- they don’t even mention that they’re pregnant.  I don’t know what happened, but the first season is still pretty great!
So to conclude, I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying is definitely a comedy show that is short, sweet, and to the point when it comes to marriage.  You will definitely be laughing till it hurts!  Currently, the show is not dumbed in English, but it is available primarily on crunchyroll.com.  I’ve also seen all thirteen episodes available on YouTube.  And before I close, I know this post was really short, but considering this is a short series, there’s not a lot to say.  Don’t be disappointed!  Anyways, that’s all that I have for this week.  Be on the lookout next Wednesday for another “Hanime on Autism”, and of course, more reviews! 


-Hanime on Anime



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?