Who’s that Lady?: Princess Jellyfish

Hello, hello!  It’s time once again for another review.  This week brings in an anime with an interesting concept.  But before we get to that, I just want to thank everyone who read my first “Hanime on Autism post.  I got a lot of positive feedback on it and I greatly appreciate it.  I cannot tell how wonderful it is to see that this has received such tremendous support.  I certainly hope that the next few “Hanime on Autism” posts will be just as good.  Anyways, back to the review.  Let me just say, again, this was an anime with a unique concept behind it.  So I’ll save all the buildup and come out with it; let’s get started on this week’s review on Princess Jellyfish
In this quirky show, young Tsukimi Kurashita is an artist living with a group of otakus in an old apartment building.  Awkward, shy, and obsessed with jellyfish, Tsukimi often distances herself from others, particularly men.  One night, however, Tsukimi notices a jellyfish in the wrong tank and tries to convince the pet shop worker in charge to move it.  These efforts prove futile due to her awkwardness towards men.  However, the situation changes when a stylish and confident woman steps forward and addresses the issue.  One way or another, this women follows Tsukimi back home to her apartment complex.  However, it becomes apparent the next morning that this “woman” is more than meets the eye.  Tsukimi soon discovers that this women is actually a cross-dressing man-who we later learned is named Kuranosuke Koibichi!  After this, the series follows the misadventures of Tsukimi, Kuranosuke, and Tsukimi’s tenants.
What can I say about this anime?  Well, first I can start off with giving this show a four out of five star rating.  I can certainly say that the story is also very intriguing.  I have never seen a story quite like this.  I’ve seen giants eating people, I’ve seen a Japanese rendition of the High School Musical.  But I have not seen an anime with a cross dresser as a forefront character.  It’s definitely a breath of fresh air and something completely out of the box.  Animation is also very good.  It certainly gives the vibe of a modern anime, for sure.  And let’s not forget that the characters are interesting and what make this show pop.  All these put together make for one awesome show!
Now, on the other hand, though story and animation are pretty good, there is one big issue with the show.  I feel that there may be some controversy over the topic of the show.  Some people would look at this and be appalled.  I won’t say who would be offended-*cough* *cough*, hardcore Christians-, but this is definitely something that would make some viewers a bit uncomfortable.  However, despite that, this controversy does teach us an important lesson, and it’s this lesson that stands as the reason why a definitely put it at the top of the list for “must-see” shows.  This lesson is that appearances DO MATTER.  It’s what helps you get a job, it’s what helps you make friends and find love-in a way-, and it’s what helps you attract the right attention.  Now granted, I know that I’ll get a lot of rude and negative comments from saying this, but you can’t really deny that it’s true.  And besides, you’re not changing who you are as a person.  All you’re changing is your clothes, your makeup, and your hair.  And the girls in Tsukimi’s complex learn this lesson midway through the series.  And they learn it from a guy who wears women’s clothing, wigs, and makeup no less.  It’s a powerful message that comes from the most unlikely of characters.  It’s because of this that I believe that every otaku should see this show.
Like I said earlier, what can I say about this show?  Apparently a lot.  From the wacky concept to the life lesson it leaves us with, Princess Jellyfish definitely gets two polished and manicured thumbs up!  Now, as far as watching the show goes, it is available in English and Japanese, and it can be bought in stores or online.  Funimation.com also has the episodes streaming on its site.  Well, I believe that is all that I have for this week.  Be sure to stay tuned for more, and be on the lookout Wednesday for another “Hanime on Autism” post.

-Hanime on Anime



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devilman (1972) vs. Devilman Crybaby: Which Is Better?

Character of the Month of April: Shoya Ishida and Shoko Nishimiya

Akira the Movie vs. Akira the Manga: Which is Better?